Saturday, November 24, 2007

Wii are the Champions



I have a funny story to share with you about an experience I had yesterday. As we all know, yesterday was the most evil shopping day of the year. My car needed new tires badly, and Sears had tires on sale. I got off work at 6:30 am and went to Sears, at which point they told me it would be 6 HOURS to get new tires on my car. My wife is out of town, and I don't have any friends who are awake that early to give me a ride, so I decided to browse around some of the stores nearby.

At around 6:55 am, I ended up outside my local EB Games store. While the lines at Best Buy, Target and other stores were miles long, there were five people waiting in line at EB Games. I looked at the sign on the door, and they were scheduled to open at 7 am. So I got in line, thinking that I would check out what they had. I was only in line for a few seconds when I realized why all these people were in line: this store had Nintendo Wii for sale. I was the 6th person in line, but I didn't know how many they would actually have in stock.

When the store opened, the manager announced that they had 10 Nintendo Wii consoles. I knew what I had to do. So for the actual retail price of $249, I purchased a Nintendo Wii, not realizing until later why this was a big deal. Soon after my purchase, I was informed that I had ruined Christmas for every single child in Omaha. Why? Because I purchased a Wii on a whim without any special planning or effort. Some poor child will wake up on Christmas morning without a Wii, while I probably didn't even appreciate what I had.

To anyone who has children, I have a simple message for you: eat shit if you think for one minute that I feel bad about my purchase. Maybe you should be teaching your kids something more than rampant consumeristic greed? Maybe if their parents weren't such whores for capitalism, they'd understand that Christmas isn't about how much crap you get, but family and peace, and all that other shit that the Bush Administration makes it easy to forget.

I am thoroughly enjoying playing with my Wii. And guilt is not part of the equation.

2 comments:

Lord Bling said...

If you think I'm gonna let a line like 'I am thoroughly enjoying playing with my Wii,' slip on past without a comment, then you are sadly mistaken...

Anonymous said...

Just one question, did you leave the part out about how your car is now run on the tears of children?

Just asking,
-HCP