Friday, February 17, 2006

Urbandead.com: Carnage and wasting zombies




Well, I have not posted for a VERY long time, and I'm going to diverge from the usual political or satirical commentary one usually finds on this site. In fact, what follows could pretty much be interpreted as "self-serving", but for once, I don't care. It all began a couple of months ago when I stumbled across (don't ask me to remember how) a site called The Zombie Survival Guide. From there, I was lead, via link, to something called Urbandead. It's a low-tech MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) in which you choose to be either a human survivor or an undead zombie in a quarantined fictional city called Malton. Because it is low-tech, at first I thought, "what a waste". However, after I played a while, I started having a little fun with it. Of course, you start out at a low level and gradually collect things and build skills and become more badass over time. One of the features common in this game is that players form groups or gangs that work together to do various puerile things. Well, I've been playing for a few weeks, and I'm ready to start my own group. It occurred to me that perhaps I could recruit from the regular followers of this website. It would give us a chance to virtually act out our violent fantasies and wreak havoc on a bunch of 11-year-olds from Akron, or, if we're lucky, on a bunch of Republicans.

Because I lack creativity, and because I'd like to get some folks from this blog to join me, I've taken the liberty of "creatively" borrowing from Ryan and named my group "The Angry Midget Pirates". I'd like to invite anyone who reads this to join the game. Should you accept the invitation,you will initially get plopped down in a random suburb of the city, but we can find a place to rendevous and begin a reign of terror. I arbitrarily appointed Ryan and myself leaders of the group for the time being: Ryan because he IS our leader and me because I was a cadet at West Point once and have a modicum of military leadership experience. If you decide to join, you'll find it take a MINIMAL amount of time and effort to play and every now and then it's good for some laughs. There are some pretty humorous and creative folks playing who like to poke fun at almost anything. So, take a look and see what you think. You get to make up crazy names for yourself, and you can NEVER be permanently killed. There are lots of guides and help files, so it's easy to learn. Remember, The Angry Midget Pirates are looking for a few good Democrats to raise hell in Malton. And who wouldn't want to be a pirate?

No comments: