Friday, January 13, 2006

Ryan's NFL Divisional Playoff Picks

NFL MVP Shaun Alexander will power the Seahawks to a win Saturday
Ok, Ok, Ok, so last weekend was exactly a primo performance on my part. I was a little overconfident after picking Texas to beat USC in the Rose Bowl, and I really hate the New England Patriots, so I did a stupid thing picking them to lose at home to Jacksonville. I also feel that if Carson Palmer hadn't gone down on Cincinnati's second play from scrimmage, I would have been 3-1 instead of 2-2 on my picks last weekend. Let's see if I can improve.
Saturday's Games
Washington at Seattle Saturday, 4:30 p.m. ET on FOX (Seattle -9.5)
As a fan of the Seahawks, having lived in Seattle for a couple years, I can tell you that Seattle is the most disrespected team in the NFL Playoffs. Despite the best record in the NFC and being nearly 10 point favorites in one of the toughest stadiums to visit in the NFL, people are still giving the Redskins a chance to pull off the upset. Because theoretically they could. Dick Van Patten could also be the father of the Bush Twins. But Dick has never been anywhere near Lauara, and the Redskins can spit all they want, but they won't be able to tackle Shaun Alexander and they will lose when Seahawks Rookie Linebacker Lofa Tatupu sends Mark Brunnell into retirment. Seahawks 31-Redskins 14.
Patriots at Broncos Saturday, 8 p.m. ET on CBS (Denver -3)
Mister Bling has been a regular Cassandra, foreshadowing doom and gloom on this game, since I posted last weekend's picks. I'm not going to sit here and try to say that the Broncos' week 6 victory over the Pats at Mile High applies to this game. This is the playoffs, and the Patriots are healthier than they were. But, Tom Brady's magical train to the Hall of Fame has a temporary derailment this weekend in Denver. Fox Sports ranked Mile High and the Denver fans the least imposing of the 4 home teams playing this weekend. Whomever made that determination has never been to a game at Mile High. It will be a close game, but Denver prevails 24-21.
Sunday's Games
Steelers at Colts Sunday, 1 p.m. ET on CBS (Indy - 9.5)
While I don't believe the Steelers can pull off a victory at the RCA Dome, as San Diego did earlier this season, I like Peyton Manning and the Colts about as much as I like Tom DeLay and W. I'm sure people think I hate them because they're good, and all that, but what I hate is when the media gets hot and heavy for a team, like they do with the Patriots, the Colts, or USC. I hate all the hyperbole that comes along with that. Unfortunately, the Colts will beat the Steelers 28-10.
Panthers at Bears Sunday, 4:30 p.m. ET on FOX (Bears -3)
The Panthers looked scary this last weekend against the Giants. The Giants Offense with Tiki Barber and a pretty decent young QB in Eli Manning looked completely out of whack against the Panthers D. I can't imagine the Bears fairing a good deal better than that with Grossman or Orton under center. It will be a defensive battle, Panthers 3 Bears 0.

No comments: