Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random Bursts

I have some varied thoughts kicking around in my head right now, and I need to get them out. Time for some diarrhea of the brain:

-- I had jury duty last week, and I learned about the 'Implied Consent' law here in Texas. I don't disagree with the general rule, but I'm disturbed by the ability of 'the man' to use your refusal to take a breathalyzer test against you in a court of law. I consider that a form of silence, and it goes against that whole 'Miranda Rights' thing.

-- I predict that the 'Big 3' will receive a considerable bailout from a last-minute lame-duck Congress.

-- So far, I've put 50 hours into the video game Fallout 3, with no signs of slowing down. It is easily going to be at the top of my 'Game of the Year' list for 2008. And yes, I've played Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Little Big Planet, Call of Duty: World at War, Mirror's Edge, et. al. The only game I need to play yet this year is Dead Space, but I can't imagine that it will top Fallout 3. Oh, and speaking of Mirror's Edge, anytime a game punishes you for doing what you're told to do, I have some serious problems with it.

-- Watched The Visitor and The Strangers in the past week. Two very different films, but both were very overrated.

-- I'm curious to hear what people will be spending on Christmas gifts for their loved ones this year versus last year. I know I'll be doing the gift card thing, but I know I won't be spending as much as usual. How about you?

-- I LOVE my new Blackberry Bold. It has a full web browser, Wi-Fi and GPS, and has a GORGEOUS screen. Before any of you Apple snobs chime in, yes, I realize that 'it's no iPhone.' It's close enough for me though, and I'll trade the touch screen for the tactile response of a QWERTY keyboard. I have to use my phone for work, and for that, it can't be beat. If it were only going to be a toy, I'd probably go with the iPhone ... even though they still can't send .jpeg files as MMS messages, nor can they do video. I thought they'd fix that with the 3G phone, and they didn't. WTF is up with that?

-- I am SO ready for Thanksgiving break. Getting a long weekend, and seeing In Flames and Gojira that Friday night. I might even eat some turkey. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

warm_machine said...

Back in '07, the iPhone was phenomenal; however, a year later and with competition neck-and-neck with it, this last incarnation of the iPhone was weak at best. If I could, I'd jump on the Blackberry Bold or Storm. The fact that a $50 Go-Phone can send a MMS text message and the iPhone can't is a gigantic shit-stain on the iPhone's glossy white case. Apple needs to divorce AT&T and get with the program.

Lord Bling said...

Do you think it's AT&T that is screwing up Apple on this one? My BB Bold is through AT&T....

HCP said...

Played Dead Space on my brothers PS3 and I have to say that I thought it kicked some ass. Worth your time.

-HCP

Lord Bling said...

I've heard it's great, and in the dark at night with surround sound? Should be fun (and scary). Fallout 3 still is mind-blowingly amazing though.